8. How will the Settlement help protect me against future identity theft and fraud?
Settlement Benefit: Free Three-Bureau Credit Monitoring Services
The settlement provides a way to protect yourself from unauthorized use of your personal information. Settlement Class Members are encouraged to submit a claim to receive two years of Experian’s “3B Credit Plus” credit monitoring services.
The Credit Monitoring Services provided by the Settlement are separate from, and in addition to, the two years of credit monitoring and identity protection services offered by AAU through Experian Protectmyid.com starting in 2016. You need not have signed up for the previous services to be eligible to make a claim for the Credit Monitoring Services offered through this settlement.
The features included with Experian’s “3B Credit Plus” credit monitoring services include:
- Daily credit monitoring of your credit file at all three (3) major credit reporting agencies (Experian, Equifax & TransUnion);
- An Experian credit report upon enrollment;
- A subsequent, updated Experian credit report available at your election as often as daily (online);
- Identity theft insurance offered through AIG, which covers certain identity theft related expenses incurred by you up to a limit of $1 million;
- Internet surveillance, which includes monitoring of the “dark web” for your personal information;
- Identity validation monitoring and alerts to notify you in the event your identity has been verified across the Experian identity network; and
- Identity restoration services that provide professional fraud resolution assistance to you if you experience identity theft or fraud, helping you with identity recovery and restoration.
Note: you will be required to submit your personal information including Social Security number to Experian to enroll in the credit monitoring services.
Class members who elect to enroll in Credit Monitoring Services will receive an activation code and enrollment instruction by e-mail within 30 days of effective date of the Settlement, or by mail if an e-mail address is not provided. You will have one year from the date the Settlement Administrator sends the activation code to enroll in the Credit Monitoring Services, and those services will be available for two years from the date of activation. You may make claim for both reimbursement for Out-of-Pocket Losses and Credit Monitoring Services.